Thursday, June 22, 2006

aromas


Yesterday was all about job interviews and an axle problem on my car. I didn't have the heart or even the time to make a drawing. I slept poorly, and woke up feeling worried. Then I discovered many messages from fellow bloggers. I felt so energized. I am in the third week of The Artist's Way. So today I'm still thinking about regaining a sense of self, so I thought about more things that I love. Above is the smell of honeysuckle at night with fireflies. The one below says A Salt Breeze -- I think I meant to write "A Sea Breeze". Our house is on a tidal inlet. Sometimes on very saturated and windless early mornings, I can sniff the air and smell the invitation of the great ocean.





Some of these are difficult to identify. The one above is me finding the first good summer peach the other night. Below is the smell of freshly-cut grass with wild onions and dandelions. I'm cutting with scissors because my attempts at drawing lawnmowers were disasters.

5 Comments:

Blogger melba said...

I love the smell of fresh roasted coffee too. It is so wonderful to come here and see your lovely drawings. It puts such a smile on my face. :)

1:06 PM  
Blogger RavenGrrl said...

oh you made me laugh and breathe in deeply. The smell I am smelling right now is toasted coconut and toasted pecans: I have homemade granola baking in our oven as I type. All of the smells you describe are also wonderful favorite smells of mine. Including "salt breeze." Ocean/surf/tides ... they are salty! I can even smell that tidal smell when I put my nose down close to our kitchen bowl of sea salt. It's great. I always equate the smell of the salt air with the love of Grandmother Ocean, for us. for Earth.

btw, I love your sketches. They really communicate your sense of smell -- how much you enjoy your nose!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Cin said...

mmmmmm, more good memories! yesterday a friend brought me a first summer peach, today on the way to class, honeysuckle (and magnolia in bloom too!), all that you've drawn, wonderful! and I adore that you're cutting the grass anyway you can, cheers to you!!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Kelly L. Watson said...

I fall more in love with your site each time I visit. I love "salt breeze," by the way - it is much more sensual than that old "sea breeze" cliche!

10:06 AM  
Blogger Potato Print said...

Hey Kelly, Thanks for visiting. I'm glad I didn't erase the "Salt Breeze" photo. I guess it more evocative. I liked your paper towel tutorial yesterday. It looks scary to me, but I might have a girlfriend party and give it a try.

11:50 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home